That Was Pretty Wizard
Robot Chicken: Star Wars III is, surprise surprise, the third Star Wars episode from Robot Chicken. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen the first one, so I’m not really privy to the tie-ins to that one, but this installment picks up where the second one left off.
I haven’t loved the most recent season of Robot Chicken, but Star Wars is kind of their thing. It’s an area where they feel at home. The people that make this show are Star Wars nerds and they’re proud of it.
This special continues the story of Emperor Palpatine, picking up where the second special left off, where Darth Vader threw Palpatine down that shaft on the death star to end it.
Robot Chicken is such a crazy disjointed show that it’s hard to review it as a whole, because it could be awesome one minute, and kind of dumb the next, so I’m going to tell you which segments I found awesome, and which were not so awesome.
- Palpatine’s voice-over intro where he expresses regret for choosing Anakin Skywalker as his apprentice. Bad move dude.
- Anakin being mistaken for a girl in The Phantom Menace.
- Light stick guy at the battle on Geonosis. So random, but funny.
- Padme torturing Anakin by being unattainable and using the stripper pole, etc.
- When Palpatine realizes that his face is melted because the force lightning was reflected into it.
- The “making of” Darth Vader where he chooses things for his suit, dances to disco, and we see the John Stewart Stormtrooper.
- Palpatine continues to talk about how you need to think hard when choosing an apprentice. The idea that he keeps talking during commercial is hilarious too.
- Boba Fett’s Dos Equis commercial parody.
- Gary the Stortmtrooper accidentally setting fire to Luke’s house and killing his aunt & uncle.
- The very next segment where Obi Wan says the Jawas that are burning weren’t dead, but were stunned. It’s terrible, but really funny.
- Darth Vader spinning out of control after the death star exploded. He goes on to say “He told me it was a bad idea, but I didn’t listen, and I choked him with magic”. I’m pretty sure he said that about a ginger ale dispenser.
- Yoda telling Luke that the guy he killed in the cave in Dagoba was just an actor. This is probably the best thing in the entire special.
- Everything involving Boba Fett and the botched Sarlacc pit execution: when he’s hammered, his dream about things going differently. It’s all super funny.
- “You’re thinking of eating me aren’t you? I’m thinking the same thing motherf**ker” Admiral Ackbar to Chewbacca.
- “Wow, was I that whiny when I was a kid?” Darth Vader watching Luke get hit with force lightning
- The asshole Kaminoan Jedi on the council. This character isn’t funny, and they show him like three times.
- Padme smacking away the fruit that Anakin was using the force to float over to her.
- The Dukes of Hazard/Sandcrawler thing.
- LEGO Chewbacca attacking Lando.
- The musician from Jabba’s ship walking through the desert.
- The last shot of Palpatine before the credits.
- Chewbacca getting rid of a hairball and then suddenly becoming a gay cat from old Hanna Barbara cartoons.